Crab Cake with Lemon Aioli
This needs a description written, prep and cook time, servings and wine pairing. JUSTIN.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 2 pounds Dungeness crabmeat
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs, fresh
- ½ cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 4 tablespoon Lemon zest
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cup blend oil
- 1 teaspoon Piment d’Espelette (you may substitute with smoked paprika)
- salt and white pepper to taste
Heat one tablespoon of butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and a half teaspoon of salt. Cook until the shallots are translucent, a couple minutes. Do not brown. Let the shallots cool.
Whisk together the eggs, Worcestershire sauce, remaining half teaspoon of salt, paprika, freshly ground black pepper, mustard, lemon zest, Tabasco sauce, herbs (parsley, chives, and tarragon), and the cooked shallots. Gently fold in the crabmeat and bread crumbs, taking care again to not break up the lumps of crabmeat. The mixture will be very wet.
Using your (clean) hands take a scoop of the crab mixture and gently form it into a patty (about 2 ¼ inches across and ¾ inches thick).
Preheat your oven to 400˚F. Heat a non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, sear the crab cakes, 3 minutes each side, remove and place on a paper towel. Once all cakes are seared, place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
Combine egg yolks, lemon juice and whisk until pale. Slowly incorporate the blend oil while whisking the mixture into an emulsion. Season with salt, pepper and Piment d’Espelette. Fold in lemon zest.
Garnish crab cakes with preserved lemon aioli. Garnish with pomegranate arils, Frisée, and cucumber (optional).
This needs a quick tip written