Miso-soy Marinated Venison with Japanese Yams
This needs a description written, prep and cook time, servings and wine pairing. JUSTIN.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 venison loin
- 8 tablespoons miso paste
- 4 tablespoons white soy
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
Mashed Japanese Yam
- 6 large Japanese yams
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cream
- 2 ½ tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons salt
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 5 sheets Kombu seaweed, chopped into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 ½ teaspoons mirin (Asian condiment similar to sake)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 small knob of ginger
- 2 sticks of butter, chilled
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Marinate venison loin overnight, covered, in refrigerator.
Mashed Japanese Yam
- Peel yams and cut into chunks.
- Place in a large pot and add water (enough to cover the potatoes) and 2 tablespoons of salt.
- Boil yams in water until they are fork tender (about 10 minutes).
- Strain off water (reserving 1 cup) and mash the yams.
- Use a hand mixer to mash the yams, adding in cream, butter, and milk. If the yams are too thick add a little of the reserved cooking water back to the mix to loosen.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine all ingredients except butter, and simmer.
- Let simmer until tender, about 20 min.
- Strain out the solids, reserve liquid.
- In a stand mixer paddle the butter until soft with the seaweed solids and ¼ cup of the reserved liquid.
Venison Cooking Instructions and Assembly
- Remove venison from marinade and portion into steaks.
- Pre-heat your grill (you may also prepare in a pan).
- Generously season the venison steak with salt and pepper.
- Place on grill and cook for 3 minutes, turn and grill on the other side for an additional 3 minutes for medium-rare. (If you prefer your steak more done, increase cooking time on each side.)
- Remove the venison from the grill and top each stake with a tablespoon of seaweed butter while resting.
- Serve with Japanese yams.
This needs a quick tip written