Onion, Beef & Barley Soup
As we find ourselves cozied by the fire fending off winter's chill, nothing brings warmth and comfort on a cold winters day like soup and a bottle of JUSTIFICATION. The braised short rib and barley in this cool-weather soup pair nicely with the cedar and oak aromas present in this rich, red blend. For a savory garnish we use a delicious Challerhocker cheese – an aged, earthy alpine-style cheese with lovely salt crystals which complement the silky tannins of the elegant 2016 JUSTIFICATION. Enjoy this hearty soup by an open fire while sipping on JUSTIFICATION and you will find yourself in your own piece of heaven, wishing winter would linger just a bit longer.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 6 cups Braising Jus (Veal or Beef Stock)
- 4 onions Yellow Onion (julienne)
- 4 Tbsp Garlic (minced)
- 1 ¼ cup Cooked Barley (1/4 cup uncooked)
- 1 bunch Thyme (tied together)
- 1 cup Braised short rib meat (shredded)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 ea Multigrain baguette crouton, sliced round (toasted)
- 3 oz Challerhocker (or your favorite Swiss) cheese (sliced)
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese (shredded or shaved)
- In a large pot over medium heat sauté onions and garlic until caramelized and golden brown
- Add braising jus (stock), thyme, barley, and beef to pot and bring to a simmer (10-20 min)
- Season to taste with salt
- Place soup into small single serve Cast Iron or heat resilient bowls. Top with 2 croutons, Challerhocker and Parmesan cheeses.
- Place in the oven on broil, melt the cheese, remove and serve.
Soup can be stored refrigerated for several days until ready to reheat.