Roasted Potatoes with Mojo Picón Sauce
Give your roasted potatoes a kick with a tropical twist of Mojo Picón, a spicy red pepper sauce. Simple to prepare and impossible to resist, it’s the kind of side that’ll have your guests smiling with delight. Pair it with a glass of wine just as bold—our 2020 JUSTIN Reserve Malbec.
Prep time: 35 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or grapeseed oil 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
Mojo Picón Sauce:
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted 2–3 small dried chilies
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2–3 tablespoons red wine vinegar 4–5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- 3–4 tablespoons ground toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup water, as needed
Suggested Wine Pairing
Mojo Picón Sauce:
We recommend preparing ahead of time—this can be made up to five days in advance.
- Use a mortar and pestle to mash the minced garlic, toasted cumin, dried chilies, and salt. Mash well into a paste. (Alternatively, use a small food processor.)
- Add the paprika, vinegar, olive oil, and harissa paste to blend.
- Add the almonds and mash everything to a paste consistency; gradually add water, if needed, to reach the desired consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice the potatoes into wedges, leaving the skin on.
- On a baking sheet, toss the potatoes with olive oil and kosher or sea salt. Spread the potatoes evenly on the pan, allowing space between each wedge.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 40 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Stir only occasionally, approximately every 15 minutes.
Serve the potatoes with mojo picón on the side for dipping. Alternatively, serve the potatoes in a bowl or platter with mojo picón drizzled on top.